Building State Revenues & Helping Small Businesses
Jan’s work with 35 state lotteries has helped states generate additional revenue while developing managers and sales people.
- Jan Kessinger helped the California Lottery reverse years of stagnant sales. In FY 2014 the California Lottery just set a sales record with nearly 15 percent growth thanks in part to consulting and training from Jan.
- The Michigan Lottery contracted with HKC and Jan for 13 years, including a time when the state bore the brunt of recession and unemployment. Yet, the Lottery recorded steady increases, year after year in revenue and transfer to the state. Terry Bunting, Deputy Commissioner of sales, attributed much of the sales growth to the development of the sales team to work ideas such as establishment of standards of excellence and training from Jan.
- The Minnesota Lottery set a sales record in FY 2012 despite a government shutdown that meant there were only 49 weeks of sales rather than 52. The expectation among management was that sales would be flat at very best. “If you had asked me or any of us (Lottery workers) in September or October were we going to set a record in sales this year we would have said, ‘absolutely no way’,” said Don Feeney, research director. In September, Jan Kessinger was brought in in September to help with sales. The result was a sales record ($15.6 million over FY 2011) even with three fewer weeks of sales.
- Jan Kessinger consulted with the Kansas Lottery in 2013 and 2014. One of the big projects was to completely restructure and re-organize the sales team. Records sales were set in 2014.
- When Ace Hardware faced the entrance of big box competition to the Atlanta market, Jan Kessinger was brought in to work with individual Ace Hardware store owners in the market. Locally-owned Ace Hardware stores withstood the big box competition with minimal losses of business while other locally owned stores went out of business.
- In addition to his work with 35 state lottery organizations, Jan works with local businesses as well as Fortune 500 firms. His goal is to grow and develop people while generating growth and profits that lead to new job development.
- Member Kansas Gaming and Racing Commission
Community Affiliations and Activities:
- Congregational Care Minister Volunteer – United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, Leawood
- South African mission trip participant to assist teachers in Mooiplaas settlement
- Member Staff Parish Committee, United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, Leawood
- Volunteer reader Blue Valley elementary schools
- Frequent blood donor Community Blood Center
- Bless the School participant to repair and renovate inner city schools
- Participant Give SevenDays – Make a ripple to change the world.
- CPR trained/certified
- 1994 – present: Founder and President, Henderson Kessinger Consulting, Inc. (HKC, Inc.)
- 1976 – 1994 Associate Publisher & Sales Director Vance Publishing Corporation business to business publications; founding publisher ProNet online service 1984.
- MBA Helzberg School of Management, Rockhurst University 1988
- Graduate studies in Business, Graziadio School of Business and Management, Pepperdine University 1982- 84
- BS Journalism William Allen White School of Journalism, University of Kansas 1973